Mathews County Historical Ornament Series - Wonderful Presents for Christmas or Anytime!
Mathews County Historic Courthouse $25 The courthouse is situated on the northeast corner of Courthouse Square facing east toward Court Street. It is a 1½-story, 3-bay by 4-bay T-plan, Flemish bond courthouse with a central pediment with a gable roofline, and dates to the 1830s. This timeframe is indicated by the presence of mature, machine-cut nails and an article appearing in the 1835 Martin's Gazetteer in which Joseph Martin describes the Mathews County seat as having mail service, around 30 homes, four mercantile establishments, a tan yard, three shops for making boots and shoes, a tailor, two blacksmiths, a saddler, a carriage maker and a tavern. The public buildings -- a new courthouse, two jails and a clerk's office -- are made of brick. The courthouse has survived two large fires, in 1921 and 1941, and a hurricane in 1933 during which water rose four feet in Mathews Court House.
Poplar Grove Tide Mill $25
The tide mill at Poplar Grove has existed since colonial times; however, the present structure replaced the original mill which was burned during the Civil War. At one time these structures were common throughout the Chesapeake Bay region. The mill is the only one remaining in Virginia and continued in operation until 1912.
Fort Nonsense Ornament $25
The military earthworks known as Fort Nonsense was built in 1861-1862 under the order of Maj. Gen. John B. Magruder and supervision of engineer Lt. William Henry Clark, CSA, using black enslaved labor to prevent Union forces from advancing westward from the Chesapeake Bay toward Richmond. Lt. Clark boarded at the home of the owner of the land and mill, William R. Smart. A letter written by Clark is datelined Ft. Roy, Smart’s Mill on 5 February 1862.
Osprey Ornament $25
Gracing the skies over Mathews County is the majestic osprey, returning every March to our rivers and bay shorelines from as far away as Argentina.
Tompkins Cottage Ornament $25
Museum and headquarters of the Mathews County Historical Society, this quaint little building is believed to be one of the oldest frame structures in the Courthouse area. The earliest known owner of this c. 1816 building was Christopher Tompkins, a prominent local planter, merchant, sea captain and ship owner/builder. The Cottage was used in his mercantile business for the sale of dry goods, hardware and groceries. Tompkins was also the father of Confederate Captain Sally Tompkins, the first woman to be commissioned as an officer in an American military organization.