|Mathews County Historical Society, Inc.||
Museum and headquarters of the Mathews County Historical Society, this quaint little building is one of the oldest frame structures in the courthouse area. The earliest known owner of this c. 1820 building was Christopher Tompkins of Poplar Grove, a prominent local planter, merchant, sea captain and ship owner/builder. Over the years, the building has been a mercantile establishment, a tailor shop, a cobbler shop, a tea room and a residence. For much of the twentieth century it was known as the old Miller house.