|Mathews County Historical Society, Inc.||
The courthouse is situated on the northeast corner of Courthouse Square facing east toward Court Street. It is a 1½-story, 3-bay by 4-bay T-plan, Flemish bond courthouse with a central pediment with a gable roofline, and dates to the 1830s. This timeframe is indicated by the presence of mature, machine-cut nails and an article appearing in the 1835 Martin's Gazetteer in which Joseph Martin describes the Mathews County seat as having mail service, around 30 homes, four mercantile establishments, a tan yard, three shops for making boots and shoes, a tailor, two blacksmiths, a saddler, a carriage maker, and a tavern. The public buildings -- a new courthouse, two jails, and a clerk's office -- are made of brick. The courthouse has survived two large fires, in 1921 and 1941, and a hurricane in 1933 during which water rose four feet in Mathews Court House.